Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Punctuating Conversation I

From Nancie Atwell, Lessons That Change Writers
Quotation marks began in ancient Greek texts as two curved lines that represented the lips of a person speaking.  One curved line was placed at the beginning, as if the writer were saying, "I'm telling you something someone else said."  The other curved line came at the end, to say, "I've finished writing the words that came out of the other person's mouth."

Rules to Remember

  • Quotation marks are placed before the first word of a quote and after the punctuation that follows the last word.


EX.  The teacher said, "In this class there will be no talking, chewing, breathing, unnecessary eye movements, or tap dancing."

    • If a sentence that includes a quotation is a question or exclamation, place the question mark or exclamation point outside the quotation marks. 

  •  A quoted remark begins with a capital letter: it's the speaker's first word.

EX.  "I questioned, "Are you up on the furniture again, you bad dog?"  She was driving me crazy.  I hollered, "Get down now!"

  • A quote is separated from the "he said" part or explanatory phrase with a comma OR a question mark OR an exclamation point, but never with a period.  A period would create two sentences and a full stop.  
EX.   "I just finished reading I Am the Cheese," she remarked. 
         "So what did you think of it?" I asked. 
         "It was excellent!"  she effused. 
         I agreed, "I loved it, too."

Note:  The punctuation that follows a quoted remark belongs inside the closing quotation marks.  It's part of the sentence and shows how the speaker said what he or she said.  Also note that the first word of the explanatory phrase is not capitalized when it follows the quote:  "Beggin' Strips® are my favorite snack," she said.  

  • In writing dialogue -- two or more people having a conversation -- begin a new paragraph each time you alternate or change speakers. 
EX.  
     "I wish today were Friday," she said.  "I've been looking forward to it for months now."
     "How come?" he asked.
     "Because finally, finally, I'm supposed to get my braces taken off.  At least that's what my orthodontist promised."

___________________________________
Another way of putting it: (Handout)

The Low-Down on Punctuating Dialogue
Using quotation marks mini-lesson

Rules: Quotation Marks and Punctuation

  • Use quotation marks at the beginning and end of a direct quotation. Do not use them, however, to set off an indirect quotation.

    • Bob said, "I doubled my money in the stock market last month!"
    • Bob lied about doubling his money in the stock market last month.
  • Punctuate a speaker's words with a comma, question mark, or exclamation point inside the quotation.

    • Bob cried, "I'm ruined!"
    • Bob wondered, "Am I ruined?"
    • "I'm happier than Lenny at a petting zoo," Bob's enemy said.
    •  
  • Place a comma after explanatory words (he said, for example)
  • In dialogue, begin a new paragraph each time the speaker changes and use a separate set of quotation marks.
  • Use single quotation marks when using quotation marks inside of quotation marks.

    • He said, "I know she said, 'Let's go to the Dominican Republic, this summer,' but I'd rather go to Hawaii."
  • Put a colon or semicolon outside the closing quotation mark

    • Here are things "not to do": thing 1, thing 2, thing 3.
  • If a sentence that includes a quotation is a question or exclamation, place the question mark or exclamation point outside the quotation marks. 

__________________________________________________



No comments: