Thursday, August 1, 2013

Ms. Dorsey's Writing Process


My Writing Process   by Ms. Dorsey   

     I have a love-hate relationship with writing.  I love it, and I love it when I come up with a finished product that makes me feel proud.  I hate it because it is so very hard.
     I think I spend my whole life prewriting – at least except for when I am actually writing.  I’m constantly noticing things that I could write about.  When I’m smart, I write them down, like the fascinating fact I heard on the radio on the way to work, or a reminder that I saw the most amazing double rainbow.  Also, when I’m going to write, I read a lot.
     My favorite way to write is on the computer because it makes revising and editing so much easier.  I do have a very favorite pen – actually three of the same type of pen, and I have journal that’s just the right size, and shape, and the paper in it feels just right.
       I used to be the writer with the bag of M ‘n M’s.  I just can’t do that anymore, and I actually don’t like M ‘n M’s as much as I used to.  Maybe I spent too much time writing! : )
      One of my favorite places to write is the school after everyone else has gone home (including the other teachers because if they’re here, I visit instead).   Another place I like to write is in my bedroom.  I have a great backrest that I use when I write lying on my bed, and I do have a very comfortable bed.  I’d like to spend more time writing on beaches and in mountain meadows, but just doesn’t happen very often. 
         Revision is my weakness.  I tend to skip to editing, and not do as much revision as I should.  Because I’m usually working on the computer, I don’t count drafts, but I do put in a lot of time on the things I write.
         How I edit depends on the purpose and audience of the piece.   Sometimes I get overly confident, and don’t ask anyone else to look at a piece until I’ve published it.  When I do that, I usually end up at least a little embarrassed.  I am something of an expert on grammar, but another set of eyes is always helpful. 

         As a teacher, most of my publishing happens when I teach the lessons I’ve prepared, and hand out the examples I’ve prepared. I’m also a new and already addicted blogger.  Check out our class blog at cavewriting.blogspot.com.  

This is something like my dream spot to write -- a cabin on a lake in the mountains.

No comments: