Thursday, August 1, 2013

Some Common Confusions About Capitalization

Some Common Confusions About Capitalization: 
What about

1. school subjects?

  • School subjects such math and social studies, do not take capitals.
  • English is capitalized because it it the name of a language.  That applies to Spanish, French, and German, too. 
  • Specific courses, such as Math 7, History 101, or Earth Science 220 are capitalized. 
    •   Things to Notice:  
      • Is there a number added to the subject?  
      •  Is it very, very specific?  For instance, instead of history, it might be History of the American West.  


2. seasons?
The general rule is, don't.  


3. directions on the compass?
Don't unless you are referring to a specific place or region: the Northeast, the Wild West, Northern Utah.
4. mom, dad, grandma, uncle, etc. 
Capitalize only if you are using the word add to or in  place of the person's name.

Don't:  my uncle, our dad,  her grandma
Do: my Uncle Pete, her Grandma Richardson
Try substituting the person's name in the sentence. If it works, capitalize.

Let's say your mom's name is Mary.
I asked Mom for money.
I asked Mary for money.  (Yes, capitalize Mom.)

I asked my mom for money.
I asked my Mary for money.  (No, don't capitalize mom.) 



No comments: