Monday, October 29, 2007

October 29, 2007

October 29, 2007
1. The teacher shared a short reading from Gary Soto’s A Summer Life, from the story “The Taps.” Soto’s writing provides examples of using description and imagery in a short story.
“A passenger train the color of spoons rushed by.”
“The asphalt was a soft, blackish river on which cars traveled, windows down, the passengers soaked in sweat.”
“A man the color of a sparrow walked near the tracks.”

2. Students went to the computer writing lab to type their scary stories. If you were absent, ask for the check list for your story.

Short Story Check
Is the lead the most effective it can be?
Is my main character well-enough developed?
Is there an interesting conflict?
Is the setting clear and well-described?
Did I include suspense?
Is the ending effective? (Does it feel like an ending, and does it leave the reading thinking or feeling or both?)

Have I checked for complete and effective sentences?
Have I divided my story into paragraphs?
Have I used the best words I could?
Have I used vivid action verbs?
Have I checked spelling?
Have I checked punctuation?

Coming: Wednesday we will share the stories. Students may finish up typing their stories if needed.

No comments: