Wednesday, March 12, 2008

March 13, 2008

March 13, 2008
Students received a tape-in and taped it on the next "page back" in the notebook. They wrote their responses on the facing page. It included a poem from the book Hormone Jungle, and the students were to
1. Read the attached poem, titled “Hormone Madness” by Steven Gilley (by Brod Bagert)
2. Write quickly about anything and everything this poem brings to mind for you.
3. Borrow a line or pair of lines or a stanza and write your own poem based on that.
(Notice that this poem rhymes. Yours should too.)
If you were absent, ask for the tape-in.


2. Writing "notes" in class assignment. If you were absent, ask for the tape-in.

3. Time to practice/prepare for the Poetry Slam on next Monday and Wednesday. Actually, we didn't have the extra time, so you'll need to prepare on your own.

Poems from Creative Writing class:

Ocean's rushing waves
Crashing against giant cliffs
Smoothly rolling on.
by Kayla C.

An Ode to Dirt
by Joseph D.
Lying on the earth
so still you can be.
Yet in the wind,
you're as swift
as can be.
Without you
there are no
flowers,
no plants,
no trees.
I don't think
there'd even
be grass.
You are a
giver of life.
You give shelter
to so many grateful
creatures.
You let people
dig tunnels
and holes
in you
without protest.
I am so
grateful,
for without you,
the world
would be
most ugly.

Ode to Laffy Taffy
by Jenna S.
Oh, Laffy Taffy,
Oh, how I crave
A bite of your sweet sugariness.
I open your wrapper.
The sweet scent of strawberry
Fills the air.

I follow your bright pink color
With my eyes
Right up until you touch my lips.

I take a nibble of your smooth, shiny surface.
My taste buds burst into song
As you roll around my mouth.

I swallow.
I can feel you running down my throat.
I stop.
Your taste lingers in my mouth
Eager for another bite.

No comments: