Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday, May 9, 2011

Bell-Ringer:  Dandelions Poem Tape-In.  Tape the poem into your composition book. Read the poem and respond as directed on the same paper.   Write your response across from the tape-in in your composition book.

Reminder:
No more late, revised, or make-up work will be accepted after May 27.




2.  Time to work on your mystery story.
       If done (and legible), have you completed your two found poems and your Mothers' Day poem?
       If done with those, quietly read or write.

3.  Peer review/edit of mystery stories.  Handout for writing mystery stories:  mystery planner.doc
Suggestions for writing mystery stories: http://ticket2write.tripod.com/mysplot.html
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20modern/fb/20031118a&pf=true

________________________________
Example Response to the prompt:

To poem: 

    This poem makes me think that we need to be careful when we categorize people, when we say, or think, what we think they are, or are like.  Most the time it is not true -- at least not entirely true.  Each person contains so much we do not see.


To one line:  "I am the dandelion that nobody loves."
This reminds me that on Friday I was sitting in a lawn chair in my backyard, holding my 8 month old granddaughter who was fussing because her mom and dad were gone.  She would stop fussing to watch our cat, Alice, so that's why we were there in the backyard.  We watched Alice bite the top off a fluffed out dandelion, then grab the stem with her teeth and pull it up.  I was surprised but wouldn't it be nice if she would pull up all my dandelions.
   Maybe not, because I do love to have at least some dandelions in the spring.  My daughter who is now eighteen has from the time she was very small picked me a bouquet of dandelions at least once every spring.  She still does.   However, those beautiful dandelions are taking over my lawn, and we must battle against them for control of the yard.
    I have daffodil's, too, though they are entirely wanted, unlike the dandelions.

__________
One Line:  basking in bubbles of sunlight -- This is a lovely phrase.  Bubbles of sunlight ---

No comments: